Strauss & Co launch its first-ever dedicated sale which focuses on outstanding examples of contemporary art made by South African, African and diaspora artists.
The 71-lot sale is to be held on 17 February 2018 at an impressive former warehouse overlooking the Duncan Docks, a harbour facility at the Port of Cape Town (block B, Cape Town Cruise Terminal, Duncan Road, V&A Waterfront)
Formerly a cold-storage facility it now forms part of a complex of buildings being transformed by the V&A Waterfront into a multi-billion-rand cruise liner terminal and is located a convenient five-minute walk from the V&A Waterfront’s Silo District and Zeitz Museum of Contemporary Art Africa.
The sale, which focuses on outstanding examples of contemporary art made by South African, African and diaspora artists, will coincide with the Cape Town Art Fair (16-18 February 2018). This pace-setting event at the start of the 2018 South African art calendar is held annually in the Cape Town International Convention Centre, very close to Duncan Dock.
Highlights from the contemporary sale include:
- An important charcoal and pastel drawing by William Kentridge from his film Felix in Exile (1994), estimates R2-2.5 million;
- An early Cake (1983) painting by Penny Siopis, estimates R600,000 – R800,000;
- Joachim Schönfeldt’s esteemed portfolio of 27 painted and embossed works on paper, The Model Men (2000-12), estimates R800,000 – R1.2 million; and
- A pyramid sculpture, Third World Disorder (2010), by Kendell Geers, estimates R600,000 – R800,000.
- Robert Hodgins, Drunk in the docks, estimates R800,000 – 1,200,000
The sale also includes works by noted contemporary painters, such as Lisa Brice, Kate Gottgens, Georgina Gratrix, Helen Sebidi and Jessica Webster, as well as striking early works by Zander Blom and Ayanda Mabulu. Recognising the emergence of photography in the period since 1990, photographic works by Leonce Raphael Agbodjélou, Kudzanai Chiurai, Abrie Fourie, Cyrus Kabiru, David Goldblatt, Mohau Modisakeng, Tracey Rose, Mikhael Subotzky and Guy Tillim will be offered.
“The launch of our first contemporary art auction during the Cape Town Art Fair heralds an exciting new direction for Strauss & Co and should, in time, further enhance our relevance and sustainability,” said Strauss & Co chairperson, Frank Kilbourn. Co’s contemporary sale. The sale will take place at Cruise Terminal, E Berth, Duncan Docks, Duncan Road, V&A Waterfront on Saturday, 17 February 2018, at 6pm.
The e-catalogue can be viewed here: straussart.co.za